Friday, February 24, 2012

Log shipping and database backups how do they live together?

Hello,
We are planning to use log shipping as replication method for standby
database. My understanding that I have to make full database backup, restore
it on standby server (with NORECOVERY option) and then can just copy
transaction logs to standby server and apply them there periodically. I'm not
using enterprise edition so I'll use SimpleLogShipper from resource kit.
My question is what kind of backups I can make on primary server in order
for this to work? If I do transaction log backup my understanding transaction
log will be truncated and nothing will be shipped to standby server?
Second question if I may. What happens if I have tons of transactions which
modify small subsets of rows in primary database will shipping and restoring
differential backups will be a better method?
Log shipping works in the full and bulk logged recovery models. You need to
start off with a full backup, and then do transaction log dumps. Inactive
portions of the log are marked for reuse after the log is dumped, it is not
truncated. The file which you dump your transaction log is what you ship and
apply on the standby server.
If you have tones of logged activity (small subsets of rows) your
transaction log dumps will be larger and take longer to dump, copy and
restore on the standby server, but typically not appreciably longer.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"ChanKaiShi" <ChanKaiShi@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B716A708-983D-4201-BA61-6AECEA33D6A3@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> We are planning to use log shipping as replication method for standby
> database. My understanding that I have to make full database backup,
> restore
> it on standby server (with NORECOVERY option) and then can just copy
> transaction logs to standby server and apply them there periodically. I'm
> not
> using enterprise edition so I'll use SimpleLogShipper from resource kit.
> My question is what kind of backups I can make on primary server in order
> for this to work? If I do transaction log backup my understanding
> transaction
> log will be truncated and nothing will be shipped to standby server?
> Second question if I may. What happens if I have tons of transactions
> which
> modify small subsets of rows in primary database will shipping and
> restoring
> differential backups will be a better method?
|||Can I make differential backups along with log dumps without screwing up log
shipping?
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> Log shipping works in the full and bulk logged recovery models. You need to
> start off with a full backup, and then do transaction log dumps. Inactive
> portions of the log are marked for reuse after the log is dumped, it is not
> truncated. The file which you dump your transaction log is what you ship and
> apply on the standby server.
> If you have tones of logged activity (small subsets of rows) your
> transaction log dumps will be larger and take longer to dump, copy and
> restore on the standby server, but typically not appreciably longer.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
>
> "ChanKaiShi" <ChanKaiShi@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B716A708-983D-4201-BA61-6AECEA33D6A3@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||absolutely.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"ChanKaiShi" <ChanKaiShi@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1B0EAFC0-0E1E-441A-81CE-E8ED232C0EE6@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Can I make differential backups along with log dumps without screwing up
> log
> shipping?
> "Hilary Cotter" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment