Monday, February 20, 2012

log shipping -- skip the log backup generated by reindex job

Hi, I like to implement a log shipping for one of the SQL 2k production serv
er.
The database is like 50GB, and reindex will blow the log backup to 30+GB.
If I have log shipping in place, it will, I think, try to ship this log back
up file over to the remote standby server.
I don't want this happen, is there a way to customize log shipping to avoid
certain operation?
Thanks in advance.No, even if you managed to customize the log shipping operation, you wouldn'
t be able to do RESTORE, as you
would be missing operations! (Log restore need to re-create every modificati
on performed, in sequence.)
Consider using INDEXDEFRAG instead of DBREINDEX, and also check out if the B
ULK LOGGED recovery mode helps you
to cut down on log records.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
"mike wang" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:08A55E2E-195E-40E3-8415-6E97E9C4E936@.microsoft.com...
> Hi, I like to implement a log shipping for one of the SQL 2k production se
rver.
> The database is like 50GB, and reindex will blow the log backup to 30+GB.
> If I have log shipping in place, it will, I think, try to ship this log backup fil
e over to the remote
standby server.
> I don't want this happen, is there a way to customize log shipping to avoi
d certain operation?
> Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment