Monday, February 20, 2012

Log Shipping "best-practices" question

hello,
I have a SQL2000 server with circa 20 databases. I am setting up Log
Shipping for these DBs. These DBs are not very active so I want to replicate
every 2 hours. I can schedule all three steps separately:
- backing up the log on the source server
- copying the log-backup from the source server to the destination server
- restoring the backup at the destination server
My question is: should these steps happen the same time for all the DBs or
should I distribute them over a larger time period. For instance I can do all
20 DBs at 2pm, (then 4pm, then 6pm etc), or I can do the first at 2:00pm, the
second at 2:05pm, the third on at 2:10pm etc, (and then 4:00, 4:05, 4:10 etc)
so I don't put too much load on the server.
Is there a "best-practice" related to this? How about copying the logs and
restoring them?
thanks
christos
If these databases are large you should stagger the dumps and copies to
prevent network saturation. If they are small this shouldn't be a problem.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Christos Kritikos" <ChristosKritikos@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FFBC1E97-0E92-43BF-943A-6971664FFE94@.microsoft.com...
> hello,
> I have a SQL2000 server with circa 20 databases. I am setting up Log
> Shipping for these DBs. These DBs are not very active so I want to
replicate
> every 2 hours. I can schedule all three steps separately:
> - backing up the log on the source server
> - copying the log-backup from the source server to the destination server
> - restoring the backup at the destination server
> My question is: should these steps happen the same time for all the DBs or
> should I distribute them over a larger time period. For instance I can do
all
> 20 DBs at 2pm, (then 4pm, then 6pm etc), or I can do the first at 2:00pm,
the
> second at 2:05pm, the third on at 2:10pm etc, (and then 4:00, 4:05, 4:10
etc)
> so I don't put too much load on the server.
> Is there a "best-practice" related to this? How about copying the logs and
> restoring them?
> thanks
> christos
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment