Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Log shipping seems to fail because of database size

Hi,
I am having a problem setting up log shipping for a large, 45GB,
database. I had log shipping working for this database. Then one
evening it failed because it could not apply a log file. I cleaned up
by removing log shipping from the maintenance plan, deleting the plans,
jobs, suspect destination database, log files and entries in the msdb
log shipping tables. When I try and re-establish log shipping for the
same database I get the error "unable to copy the initialization file
to the secondary server". I can see the initial backup file being
created on the source server and being copied to the destination server
but at some point it fails. What is strange is that I can still get log
shipping working for a small test database in exactly the same
environment and using the same steps.
Most of the posts on this error I have read suggest that permissions
are at the root. However, I cannot see how permissions can be causing
my problem as I can get it to work for a small database. It seems as
though size is the issue! Has anyone else experienced such a problem?
Any help would be very gratefully received as I've been struggling with
this one for a few days now.
Thanks in advance,
Gavin
have you thought about integrating backup compression software with log
shipping - like LiteSpeed, or RedGate's SQL Backup? These should be able to
get you around this size problem. I find also I have more control when I
roll my own log shipping solution as opposed to using the log shipping
wizard.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
<geetastic@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1169489699.082941.198830@.l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi,
> I am having a problem setting up log shipping for a large, 45GB,
> database. I had log shipping working for this database. Then one
> evening it failed because it could not apply a log file. I cleaned up
> by removing log shipping from the maintenance plan, deleting the plans,
> jobs, suspect destination database, log files and entries in the msdb
> log shipping tables. When I try and re-establish log shipping for the
> same database I get the error "unable to copy the initialization file
> to the secondary server". I can see the initial backup file being
> created on the source server and being copied to the destination server
> but at some point it fails. What is strange is that I can still get log
> shipping working for a small test database in exactly the same
> environment and using the same steps.
> Most of the posts on this error I have read suggest that permissions
> are at the root. However, I cannot see how permissions can be causing
> my problem as I can get it to work for a small database. It seems as
> though size is the issue! Has anyone else experienced such a problem?
> Any help would be very gratefully received as I've been struggling with
> this one for a few days now.
> Thanks in advance,
> Gavin
>
|||Hi Hilary,
Thank you for this. Yes I have thought of using these tools but have
been put off by having already spent a fortune on 2 * 4CPU licences for
SQL Server 2000 Enterprise and having already had this database log
shipping happily for over 2 years in another hosting environment. If we
have to use some 3rd party software like this then we have to but it
just seems wrong.
Which of these 2 have you used? Have you found them to be reliable?
Cheers,
Gavin
Hilary Cotter wrote:
> have you thought about integrating backup compression software with log
> shipping - like LiteSpeed, or RedGate's SQL Backup? These should be able to
> get you around this size problem. I find also I have more control when I
> roll my own log shipping solution as opposed to using the log shipping
> wizard.
> --
|||I've used lite speed and it has hooks built into it that will work with the
log shipping wizard.
SQL Backup from RedGate is a highly competitive product - cheaper too.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Geetastic" <geetastic@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1169541651.197139.116160@.s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi Hilary,
> Thank you for this. Yes I have thought of using these tools but have
> been put off by having already spent a fortune on 2 * 4CPU licences for
> SQL Server 2000 Enterprise and having already had this database log
> shipping happily for over 2 years in another hosting environment. If we
> have to use some 3rd party software like this then we have to but it
> just seems wrong.
> Which of these 2 have you used? Have you found them to be reliable?
> Cheers,
> Gavin
> Hilary Cotter wrote:
>
|||Fixed the problem by rebooting both servers! I didn't want to do this
straight away because this is not something I want to have to do in
production. However, it works.
Thanks for your help.
On Jan 23, 1:11 pm, "Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cot...@.gmail.com> wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> I've used lite speed and it has hooks built into it that will work with the
> log shipping wizard.
> SQL Backup from RedGate is a highly competitive product - cheaper too.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTShttp://www.indexserverfaq.com
> "Geetastic" <geetas...@.hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1169541651.197139.116160@.s48g2000cws.g ooglegroups.com...
>
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment