Friday, March 30, 2012

Log Shipping with additional backups

I am planning to implement log shipping between two servers.
I understand that if I perform a full database backup of the primary
database during the log shipping, this will have no effect on the log
shipping. If I am log shipping every 30 minutes, so I have a log backup at
09:00 and 09:30, perform a full database backup at 09:15, the log backup at
09:30 will contain all changes from 09:00.
Can I use this full database backup and the log shipping logs to perform a
database recovery? Can I restore the 09:15 full backup and then the 09:30
log? Or, do I need to perform additional log backups, e.g. every hour? If
so, how do these log backups affect the log shipping backups?
Many ThanksYes you can use the log shipping log backups to do a recovery. You will
probably have to look at your log shipping scripts to make sure they are not
deleting the log backup files.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
"si" <si@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:819CBAE2-0A90-42BB-8B2B-2B1DFF7DBE05@.microsoft.com...
>I am planning to implement log shipping between two servers.
> I understand that if I perform a full database backup of the primary
> database during the log shipping, this will have no effect on the log
> shipping. If I am log shipping every 30 minutes, so I have a log backup
> at
> 09:00 and 09:30, perform a full database backup at 09:15, the log backup
> at
> 09:30 will contain all changes from 09:00.
> Can I use this full database backup and the log shipping logs to perform a
> database recovery? Can I restore the 09:15 full backup and then the 09:30
> log? Or, do I need to perform additional log backups, e.g. every hour?
> If
> so, how do these log backups affect the log shipping backups?
> Many Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment