Friday, March 30, 2012

log shipping vs. Replication

I hate replication, it's given me nothing but endless
amounts of problems, headaches and people who are
completely pissed at me that they are not getting there
reports. I want to move to log shipping, my question is to
those of you who have used both. Is this really reliable,
is it going to be another headache or does it work well?
Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan,
have a look at this article which might help you choose between these
technologies, as they are not quite equivalent:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/colu...eplication.asp
If I may ask, what specific problems have you been having with replication?
Regards,
Paul Ibison
|||Hey Paul,
I had a table with 9 million rows and 5 indexes. I
wanted to replicate this off to a reporting server. The
reporting server was the same as production a Dell 6650,
Raid 5( I wanted to strip it but the idea was to use it as
a warm backup to production) Quad processor, brand new. It
would run the snap shot from the distributor a dual, which
went really fast, about five minutes. It would apply the
data rather quickly, but then IO would hit the roof for
about 11 hours I think I set the timeout to last time. It
would always say waiting for a backend process to
complete. There is no way it takes that long to apply the
indexes. I read the Microsoft white paper and the
sqlserverperformance tips. All logs are on seperate
physical disk, the distributor was a dedicated distributor.
I increases the timeout, set the number of threads to the
number of tables. Loaded something else in memory, etc,
etc, etc... Finally. I just said screw this, this sucks
there has to be an easier way.
>--Original Message--
>Bryan,
>have a look at this article which might help you choose
between these
>technologies, as they are not quite equivalent:
>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/colu...ibison/logship
pingvsreplication.asp
>If I may ask, what specific problems have you been having
with replication?
>Regards,
>Paul Ibison
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment